The Press Club of Southeast Texas has revealed its finalists for the coveted honor of “Newsmaker of the Year.” The award goes to the person or persons in Southeast Texas who made the biggest positive impact in the preceding year. The finalists are, in alphabetical order:
– The Beaumont ISD board of managers, appointed by the state education commissioner to clean up the troubled school district.
– Jennifer Daniels and Shawn Hare, organizers of Beaumont’s first PRIDE parade in support of LGBT rights.
– Earl Thomas III, former West Orange-Stark football player, current member of the Seattle Seahawks, sponsor of many local charity efforts.
– Raquel West, the first woman elected to a district court judgeship in Jefferson County, surviving a spirited primary, runoff and general election.
– Bob Wortham, who gave up a judge’s post to be elected Jefferson County district attorney, dominating a crowded ballot.
The winner will be announced at the Press Club’s annual 24th Annual Excellence in Media & Newsmaker Awards banquet on Friday, June 5 at the MCM Elegante Hotel in Beaumont. The winner has been determined by votes from all Press Club members.
At the banquet, local winners will also be announced for competition in various journalism and public relations categories among Press Club members. Proceeds from the banquet are used to fund an endowed scholarship for students at Lamar University.
Information on tickets or sponsorship for the banquet can be obtained by clicking here or by calling Debbie Bridgeman at 409.835.5951 x117.